The Venetian castle in Hora

by Dimitris Baltzis

The eye to the Mediterranean sea!

The Castle of Chora Kythera is built on a large elevated area in Chora of Kythera, overlooking the south. It is kept in quite good condition and is an important tourist attraction.

The present castle was built by the Venetians in the 16th century, although according to various sources a Byzantine fortress existed at the same place from the 13th century. During the Venetian rule, Chora developed a lot and the settlement spread to the areas around the castle. Both in and around the castle there is a large number of temples which are protected today as many of them date back to the 15th century. Inside it dominates the church of Panagia Myrtidiotissa which is considered the patron saint of the island. This church was catholic until 1806. Next to it is the Palace of the Prophets, which today houses the Historical Archive of Kythera, which contains documents from 1560.

related articles